Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Marquez set for Pep talk

Marquez set for Pep talk

Rafael Marquez is to hold talks with Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola about his future after the World Cup.

Marquez, who was part of the Mexico side that exited the South Africa finals in Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Argentina, insists he needs to speak to the Barca coach before deciding whether to accept a new contract at Camp Nou.

The Mexico international, who skippered his team in the Group A win over France, has been offered a two-year deal to stay in Catalunya, but is weighing up his options after only starting seven games in La Liga last term.

With Yaya Toure seemingly destined to leave for Manchester City, 31-year-old former Monaco ace may enjoy greater opportunities to play for the Spanish champions as a holding midfielder - a role he excelled in with El Tri this month.

The versatile schemer, who is equally adept in central defence, warned Guardiola ahead of their projected discussions that if his situation does not improve next term, he could leave.

Marquez, who is a target for Galatasaray, told TV3 : "I am going to have a conversation with the coach to ask him about my future because watching what happened to me last year, when I didn't have too much participation, I want to know if now I am in the plans of the coach or not.

"I will have to know having a conversation with Guardiola. After that conversation I will know if I continue where I am or not. And if there is a chance for me to leave I will leave."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}La Liga 10/11. Click here to bet.

Mexico's goal that wasn'tGuardiola fined for ref rant