Sunday, June 13, 2010

Forlan eyes Prem return

Forlan eyes Prem return

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Forlan has admitted he would be interested in a move back to the Premier League.

Forlan had an unsuccessful stint with Manchester United earlier in his career, when it took him eight months to score his first goal for him the club and he left after just two-and-a-half years.

However, he has gone on to become one of the most feared forwards in the game since switching to Spain in 2004, enjoying a prolific three-year spell with Villarreal before joining Atletico.

Forlan helped fire Atletico to Europa League glory last season and has been tipped to dazzle with Uruguay at the World Cup this summer.

A series of good performances at international level will only fuel speculation that has already surfaced about his club future, with Forlan now hinting that he has unfinished business in England.

The 31-year-old maintains that he was happy at Old Trafford and would be willing to return to the Premier League if an agreement could be reached that suits all parties.

Offer

"If there is an offer and it's good for Atletico and good for me I would be really happy to go back to England. But it will have to be good," he said.

"If a big chance to return to England came up, I would have to look at it. I loved my time in English football - the people, the fans, the football, everything.

"I wasn't sad the way it ended at United to be honest. I was really happy during my time there and thank the people at United for how they treated me.

"During my period there I learnt a lot of things and had a good relationship with everyone. The reason I left was because I didn't have the chance to play as regularly as I wanted.

"Now I have the chance to play regularly the way I wanted and I am really happy I'm doing that."

Fergie praise

Forlan has also paid tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson for the way the Manchester United manager looked after him and helped his development.

"The way he treated me from the first time I arrived at Manchester was great," he explained.

"He was waiting for me in the stadium, took me to the hotel and showed me the facilities at the training ground. I really appreciated that.

"In private he is a very nice person and I have a lot of good memories of Sir Alex. He spent a lot of time with me and he taught me a lot of things."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Uruguay v France 1st Goalscorer: Forlan, D. 6/1

Atletico hopeful on strike duoMidfield marshal Joseph returns rhythm to New England