Saturday, June 26, 2010

Diarra seeks Real stay

Diarra seeks Real stay

Mahamadou Diarra is hoping to be given another opportunity to prove himself at Real Madrid.

The experienced midfielder has been with the Primera Liga giants since 2006, but has fallen down the pecking order over recent years.

Injuries have also hampered his cause in each of the last two seasons, restricting him to just 33 appearances in all competitions.

The Mali international is, however, back to full fitness and determined to earn an extended stay at Santiago Bernabeu.

Reports had suggested that he could be moved on this summer, with a number of clubs believed to be interested, but Diarra is reluctant to leave.

He is excited by the prospect of working under Jose Mourinho next season and insists he is yet to fulfil his ambitions in the Spanish capital.

"I do not want to leave Real Madrid without having won the Champions League," Diarra told Marca .

Challenge

"This is my challenge and I want to stay here and do that.

"I want to work with Mourinho and to show him that I am worthy of a starting place.

"For me he is a coach with the same mentality as (Fabio) Capello and he was good for me when he was at Real.

"Mourinho is a winner and perhaps we needed to have him on the bench this season."

Real ended the 2009/10 campaign empty-handed, but Diarra is confident that Mourinho is the man to oversee a reversal in fortunes - both for him and the club.

He added: "I am back to my peak physically and I am working towards having the best season of my career.

"I intend to stay at Real and this is a big test. I am focused on playing for Mourinho and bringing success back to this club."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Champions League 2010/11 Win Outright: Real Madrid 5/1

Diarra plans Mourinho talksKick Off: Nowak blasts ex-club, Ching stung by fans