Friday, June 4, 2010

Maicon targets Madrid move

Maicon targets Madrid move

Inter Milan full-back Maicon has revealed he has a burning ambition to play for Real Madrid.

The Brazil international was part of the Inter side that won the treble last season, topped off with a triumph in the UEFA Champions League.

Former manager Jose Mourinho masterminded the Nerazzurri's success, but he has now moved on to pastures new at the Bernabeu and Maicon wants to follow suit.

He told Spanish daily AS : "What I want is to play at Madrid and for me it would be an honour to be able to do that because I've already said it would be a great opportunity in my career."

The 28-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Los Merengues, and he has dismissed speculation regarding a move to Premier League outfit Manchester City.

"With Manchester City I have nothing (agreed), I can assure," he added.

Clear ambition

"I'm going to say it very clearly so there are no misunderstandings. I want to play at Madrid, I don't want to go to Manchester City.

"Moreover, I repeat that I have nothing (agreed) with the English club."

Maicon is preparing to compete in this summer's World Cup with Brazil, but is hoping to get his club future resolved.

He admits he had a great relationship with Mourinho during his time in Italy, and the former Cruzeiro and Monaco player seems set on linking up with him in Spain.

"Mourinho is a great coach and I don't think anybody can dispute that," he remarked.

"I have a great relationship with him and for me it would be nice to be able to play under him again.

"We have won many things together and I hope to be able to repeat that. He's one of the best coaches that I've come across in my life."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Mourinho to win the Champions League with Real Madrid. Click here to bet.

Mourinho coy on transfersChampions League final goes mainstream in US