Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Jose sets sights on Europe

Jose sets sights on Europe

Jose Mourinho says his primary task as Real Madrid manager is to guide the team to their first UEFA Champions League triumph since 2002.

Portuguese Mourinho was appointed Real's ninth manager in just six years on Monday, penning a four-year deal at the Bernabeu in place of Manuel Pellegrini, who was dismissed last week.

The Spanish giants have been beaten to their domestic league title by intense rivals Barcelona for the last two seasons, but the ultimate disappointment came this term when they failed to reach the Champions League final, which was held at their own stadium.

History

Former Chelsea boss Mourinho claimed the European Cup for the second time last month, following his 2004 success with Porto, after leading Inter Milan to a 2-0 victory over Bayern Munich.

And the 47-year-old is now looking to make history by becoming the first manager to win the Champions League with three different clubs.

"I won the Champions League during my second years at Porto and Inter. I reached the semi-finals twice with Chelsea," Mourinho told the club's official website .

"I believe it is the top championship, the hardest of all. We know our challenge here is difficult, but we must be calm as we work.

"I don't like to shield myself in the idea that we need a long time in order to work well. I like to take on a challenge without fear and aggressively. This is why my main objective is to win.

"The magnitude of this club doesn't frighten me. It won't be an easy challenge, but I am anxious to take it on. I am very excited to begin working here."

Strengthen

Mourinho says he intends to bolster his squad ahead of his first season in charge, but has ruled out any massive spending sprees.

"With all due respect to the current squad, I would like to bring two or three players who can adapt to my work philosophy," he added.

"I don't want people to feel any pressure. I want them to be calm. I don't want people to go crazy and spend too much money."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Jose Mourinho Specials Win Special: Win La Liga & Champions League in first season as Real Madrid Manager 12/1

Europe: Chelsea end Portsmouth's FA Cup Cinderella storyMourinho expects success