Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ronaldo aims for double glory

Ronaldo aims for double glory

Cristiano Ronaldo believes he can inspire Real Madrid and Portugal to glory after a season punctuated by injury and suspension.

Ronaldo was ruled out with an ankle knock for three months and has just returned from a two-match suspension, but is focused on helping Real beat arch-rivals Barcelona to the Primera Liga title.

He told A Bola : "I have wanted to play more matches for Real Madrid, but I have been affected by injuries and also a suspension.

"Now I am more positive and I am sure I can get back to my best for the rest of the season."

Tricky

With Portugal facing a tricky World Cup group against favourites Brazil and hotly-tipped Ivory Coast, Ronaldo has underlined the importance of a strong start in South Africa.

He added: "My desire is to arrive in South Africa in good form and to have a good World Cup.

"I hope that Portugal can prove their worth in the tournament and reach the latter stages of the World Cup.

"The draw was not favourable for us and we have been left with a difficult group. The opening match against Ivory Coast will be a challenging game.

"It won't be easy but I think Portugal can get through the group stage.

"At the moment the favourites for the World Cup have to be Brazil, Spain and England."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Real Madrid v Villarreal 1st Goalscorer: Ronaldo, C. 10/3

Ronaldo’s red appeal rejectedFerreira aims for strong second season