Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Henry - I don't deserve place

Henry - I dont deserve place

Barcelona striker Thierry Henry says he does not currently deserve to play in the starting XI.

The French star has slipped down the pecking order at Camp Nou and was left on the bench once more for Barca's game at Atletico Madrid last weekend.

Speculation has mounted that manager Pep Guardiola no longer regards the 32-year-old as a key member of his first-team squad, but the Catalans boss has recently come out to quash such rumours.

Henry, who has only scored twice for the Spanish giants this season, says he has no problem with Guardiola and insists he will continue to work 'like a dog' in training.

"I have absolutely no trouble with the coach. I respect his choices," he said in L'Equipe .

"If I had scored 15 goals the situation would be different. Personally, I think I don't deserve to play.

"Currently there are better players than me. Anyway, I will go on fighting and working like a dog during training sessions."

Race

Barcelona are currently top of La Liga although a defeat to Atletico meant rivals Real Madrid closed the gap in the race for the title.

And Henry knows that the performance of the team is more important than his personal ambitions.

"The team is the most important. Barca has to win, whether I play or not," he added

"On the left flank I am in competition with one of the best players in the world (Andres Iniesta), and Pedrito, who has scored each time he has played or come from the bench.

"He is achieving an amazing season, so it is quite logical I am not in the starting XI."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Barcelona v Santander Last Goalscorer: Henry, T. 9/2

Henry will not be punished for handballRafael calls in Atletico favour