Monday, February 15, 2010

Ronaldo offers Kaka defence

Ronaldo offers Kaka defence

Cristiano Ronaldo has jumped to the defence of Kaka after he came under fire for failing to deliver the goods at Real Madrid.

The former AC Milan star was just one of a number of big-name arrivals at Santiago Bernabeu last summer, along with Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.

Kaka has so far failed to live up to his much-hyped arrival while he has also spent time on the sidelines with a groin injury.

Ronaldo has made an immediate impact in Spain, although he believes some players need time to adapt to their new surroundings.

Time

"Some players need more time to adapt. I'm thinking of Benzema, for example," told Gazzetta dello Sport .

"In Kaka's case he's been hampered by his groin injury. Now he's overcome these physical problems he's feeling better and we'll now see his immense talents.

"He'll do well here because he's an exceptional player, a great person and because you do not lose your quality from one month to another."

Ronaldo's availability has also been curtailed by injury while his current spell on the sidelines is due to suspension, but the former Manchester United man is done with missing games for Real and is raring to go.

Games

"In the games that I've played I think I've done well," he continued. "Now I just want to play more regularly.

"I've already missed 13 games because of injury and suspension and I hope now that they let me play.

"The important thing is not how you begin, but how you finish."

Bayern Munich ace Franck Ribery is continually linked with a move to Real, but Ronaldo says it is not down to him whether they break the world record for the France international.

Ronaldo became the world's most expensive footballer when Real paid Ј80million for his services last summer, although Ribery is now being linked with a massive €100million (Ј86m) move.

"It's difficult to say no to Real Madrid. I wasn't able to do it, but each player has his own story.

"€100m for him? I'm not the president. I cannot pay anything. I can only say that he's a great player and I like playing with great players."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/skysports/fixturecal/icons/fix-bet.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:18px;}Xerez v Real Madrid 1st Goalscorer: Kaka 11/2

Galliani denies Kaka claimsCombine notes: Prospects must now wait