Sunday, August 31, 2008

Van Der Vaart Wanted Barça

The signing of Van Der Vaart from Hamburg was greeted with jubilation by Real Madrid fans this summer but as Sport.es reveals, the Dutchman has a chequered past. In an interview he gave to the Spanish paper back in 2002 the midfielder not only admitted his affection for Real Madrid’s bitter rivals Barcelona but also spoke about his desire to play in the Camp Nou.

“I have always liked Barcelona because it has identified with Holland. Michels, Cryuff, Neeskens…and also Romario. He is not a Dutchman but he is my idol. I have always been a follower of Barcelona and I would love to step out in the Camp Nou one day,” he gushed.

Real Madrid’s star summer signing also admitted that should he fly to Spain it would be to play for the Catalans. “I am prepared to leave Holland and play in a large European club. If I should fly to Spain I expect it to be to play for Barcelona,” said the Dutchman.

Whilst the news may shock Real Madrid fans Van Der Vaart admits in the interview that were he to leave Ajax for another club but Barcelona, his grandfather would never forgive him. Certainly it seems that the youngster had plenty of affinity for the club and talking to Sport.es he picked out a few aspects he liked in particular.

“I would love to play alongside Ronaldinho, he is a formidable player and has the spirit of a leader. I know we play in the same position but I can adapt. I can play on the right, on the left and even up front like Kluivert. I believe that I am compatible with Ronaldinho,” he concluded.


“We totally deserved to lose”
The Bundesliga players on day 15
Van Der Vaart Hopes Dream Comes True Next Week
Van Der Vaart To Miss Madrid Clash?