Thursday, August 28, 2008

Manu: My Salary Could Have Been Trebled

Despite the arrival of Roberto Soldado at Geta, Manu feels that he still has a lot to contribute to a club that he loves.

To this end he did not attempt to pressure the Getafe hierarchy into allowing him to leave for another, unnamed club that offered him generous personal terms.

"It was an interesting offer, but my priority was to remain with Getafe out of respect for many things - the fans and the club, who gave me the opportunity to play in the Primera," said the 24-year-old.

"The financial offer from the team that wanted me was extremely interesting - three times my salary - but I left it up to Getafe. They turned it down, so I'll continue working as usual."

The former Atlético Madrid man said that although the offer was good for both him and his club, he's now committed to the Azulones' cause.

"I have a two year contract here and I intend to fulfill it," he said.

"I think it was an offer that could have benefitted both of us, but I'm not a player who's said he wants to leave because that isn't the case.

"They had to accept or reject it, and in this case it was rejected. Here I am, but with all the excitement in the world."

Season Goals

Manu, a former Recreativo loanee, stated his immediate aims, as well as those for the season.

"The game against Sporting on Sunday will be tough: they'll be extremely excited at coming back up, and it's at their ground," he said.

"It's a pretty complicated game. I imagine that their players and fans alike will be crazy. We must be very focused.

"As for the season, I hope that we reach the UEFA Cup and get to the final of the Copa del Rey, as I think we're capable. But in football one must be cautious and prudent, and go step by step. The main goal - but not the only one - is survival."


Óscar Serrano Linked With Getafe Move
González Praises Getafe
Miguel Requests Valencia Exit
Galliani - Blues bid for Kaka