Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Balboa Heaps Praise On Benfica

The Equatorial Guinea international joined Benfica from Real Madrid earlier in the summer but has found first-team opportunities rather hard to come by in the pre-season.

Rubem Amorim, who also signed for the Eagles this summer, has been Quique Flores' first pick, which has made Balboa start the games on the bench, just like it happened against Feyenoord on Saturday.

Balboa claims to be in good condition but is still hoping he will grab a regular spot in the team.

"I don't think I have demonstrated my real ability, and nor have my team-mates, but that's normal because we only have one month of preparation," he said.

"Last season, at Real Madrid, I played as a starter in pre-season and then I barely got to play again. I hope that the contrary happens here, but the most important thing is that the team start the season well to get stability."

When quizzed on the differences between Benfica and Real Madrid, he noted: "There are no differences whatsoever. When it comes to facilities, these are two identical clubs, just like when it comes to importance. Everyday, newspapers talk about Benfica."

Balboa considered FC Porto Benfica's main threat for the league title but insisted that his side have the quality to finish the season in first place.


Heaps comfortable on new flank
Benfica Close On Pongolle Deal
Balboa: Madrid Can Facilitate My Exit