Sunday, August 31, 2008

Adriano: Sevilla Still A Force

It’s been a busy summer for Sevilla and unfortunately for them most of their transfers having been going out rather than coming in. Manager Manolo Jimenez has had to watch as Daniel Alves, Seydou Keita and Christian Poulsen have all left the club for pastures new.

Yet midfielder Adriano still expects the team to be a force in the league, he said, “We want to be contenders for the league and I believe we can fight for the title. I do not know if we are going to obtain it, but in Spain I do not see many better teams than ours.

“We believe that it is possible to win titles and to have a successful new era.”

Speaking about the loss of the key trio, Adriano said it was a blow but that the squad is now looking even stronger than last year. “It is true that we lost important players, but the club hired other big players and I believe that the team is better than that of last year,” he assured.

During his time at Sevilla the Brazilian has been a mainstay in the midfield, making 74 appearances, and despite transfer rumours linking him to Tottenham Hotspur and Internazionale, he says he wants to continue as a first team regular. “Since I arrived in Seville I have always been a regular, no matter who is the coach, and I want to continue being a regular,” he confirmed.

One of the stories circulating this summer was that Adriano would leave Sevilla to link up with ex-coach Juande Ramos at Tottenham but he denies the rumours. “I know Juande Ramos and I know he likes my qualities. I do not want to leave Sevilla though as I am very fond of the club, the city and the fans.”

Indeed, the Brazilian said that were he to move from Sevilla there would have to be very strong reasons. “Since I was in Brazil I dreamt of playing at a large club in Europe and since I arrived here I felt that I have completed that objective. I feel that I am at a large club and for me to move there would have to be very strong reasons,” he concluded.

Sevilla start their La Liga campaign this Sunday with a trip to Santander to face last seasons surprise package Racing Santander and after an impressive pre-season Adriano is confident of success.

“This year there is more identification between the players and also with the methods of training because Manolo Jimenez knows us better. We have a great team,” said the confident Brazilian.


Alves Wants Swift Departure
Sevilla And Betis To Battle For Bruno
Adriano blow for Inter