Thursday, July 22, 2010

Benitez coy on duo

Benitez coy on duo

Rafa Benitez is refusing to be drawn on speculation that stars Maicon and Mario Balotelli will be sold by Inter Milan this summer.

Maicon and Balotelli have been linked with moves to Real Madrid and Manchester City respectively after fine campaigns in Italy.

Benitez is now at the helm of the Nerazzurri after replacing Jose Mourinho and says whether any player leaves the club is out of his hands.

The Spaniard does not fear being remembered as the Inter manager who lost the club's stars as he know the club's hierarchy makes the decisions.

"Maicon and Balotelli? I always remember what former manager of Real Madrid Luis Molowny said, let's wait and see what happens, don't act with haste," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport .

"The club decides the transfers, I adapt. Do I fear being remembered in a few years as the coach who let go of Balotelli? I repeat: I do not control the market. One player doesn't make a team and Inter has many strong players."

Comparisons

Benitez knows he will be compared with Mourinho, who enjoyed great success at Inter, but insists he intends to build solid foundations that ensure the club remains among Europe's best in the years to come.

"What I like to do is build something concrete and leave a solid foundation for the future," he continued.

"I respect those who came before me and it makes no sense to throw away the work done by others. Mourinho at Inter built on good work by (Roberto) Mancini and before at Chelsea that of (Claudio) Ranieri.

"At Inter I saw so much that I liked. A president who wants to build something that remains long, and in this context I think I could stay for many years. Like at Liverpool.

"They (Inter and Liverpool) are two similar clubs, even the fans. We're used to fighting against all, and this has ended up strengthening the mentality of teams, has made them stronger.

"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans, and if necessary I would also do at Inter."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}

Inter aim to keep MaiconColombians vouch for newest FCD acquisition