Saturday, August 15, 2009

Drenthe - I don't want to go

Drenthe - I dont want to go

Royston Drenthe has stated he does not want to leave Real Madrid, and believes that his club is in position to surpass arch-rivals Barcelona this season.

The left-sided Dutch player, along with many of his compatriots at the club, is rumoured to be surplus to requirements after Real's summer spending spree.

AC Milan, who have already captured former Madrid striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, are rumoured to be chasing the 22-year-old's signature.

But Drenthe has revealed that he wants to stay at the Bernabeu and compete with the new stars for a place in the starting line-up.

"Real is my family, I want to stay and to take my opportunities," he told Spanish newspaper Marca .

Barcelona completed a Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey treble last season and have added Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic to their squad over the summer.

Hungry

The current dominance of Pep Guardiola's side does not seem to bother Drenthe, however, who believes Real's new-found determination will propel them to glory at the end of this campaign.

"They (Barcelona) have a lot of quality but we are Madrid and that's that. We have to be optimistic," he added.

"I think that Madrid this year are going to have more options than Barca, because we are going to have more hunger than them. If the fans saw us train, they'd be impressed. We have an incredible hunger.

"We need to work very hard to achieve it, but at the least you have to try. There are a lot of very good teams but Madrid are Madrid and we have to get back to being the biggest. We have the quality to be able to fight for everything.

"I can't promise anything, but I'm going to give it everything to win many titles. I want to fulfil my dream of winning the Champions League. The Champions League and World Cup have been my dreams since I was a kid."



Kaka targeting Euro successTFC roll out carpet for Real Madrid