Monday, April 12, 2010

Ronaldo calm ahead of Clasico

Ronaldo calm ahead of Clasico

Cristiano Ronaldo does not fear Barcelona, but accepts Saturday's El Clasico could be crucial to both teams.

The Real Madrid forward is bracing himself for what promises to be an epic contest with Barca at Santigao Bernabeu this weekend.

Real head into the game top of the Primera Liga, but with only goal difference keeping them ahead of their arch-rivals from Catalunya.

There are now just eight games remaining for either side to establish an advantage, and Ronaldo admits three points in the derby would give the victors the edge.

"This may be the most important match of the season," said the Portuguese winger.

"Whoever wins will hold a slight advantage in the race for the title, but there are still many games left and we have to try and win them all.

Confidence

"The season is winding down, so whoever wins on Saturday will have a bit more confidence than the other team and an opportunity to draw a match.

"Both teams are very ambitious so no-one will be giving up, we just have to try and win every game."

He added: "I respect Barcelona, but I do not fear them. They have a very good team, but I will do my best.

"I am not worried about a thing. I just want to do my best and make a difference. I think it will be a match that is decided by the smallest details.

"May the best team win, and I hope Real Madrid are the better team. I am sure we can come away with a win."

Credit

Stopping the mercurial talents of Lionel Messi will be pivotal to Real's plans, with the Argentine illuminating the UEFA Champions League in midweek.

The Barca star has already wrestled the Ballon d'Or and World Player of the Year crown from Ronaldo this year, but the Real ace insists Messi is not the only man Los Blancos should be wary of.

"I am taller and wider than Messi," Ronaldo joked when pressed on comparisons between the pair.

"He is having a great season and will be remembered among the best players of all time.

"But the coach and the entire team deserve credit. Messi does not play alone, he has great players by his side.

"I am working hard, I am happy here and I hope to continue feeling this good. I believe that playing here will also allow me to be remembered as one of the best players around."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}Real Madrid v Barcelona 1st Goalscorer: Ronaldo, C. 4/1

Pique - Messi is the best