Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pires willing to play on

Pires willing to play on

Robert Pires insists he has no plans to retire and has a number of options available to him for next season.

The French midfielder is currently on the books of Villarreal, who he has been with since 2006.

The 1998 World Cup winner has enjoyed a distinguished career to date, with spells taken in at Metz, Marseille and Arsenal before his arrival in Spain.

Pires accepts that he is edging towards the end of his playing days, at the age of 36, but believes he is still capable of performing at the highest level for some time yet.

He hopes he will be given the opportunity to prolong his association with Villarreal over the summer, but has revealed that he has offers from America and France should fresh terms not be forthcoming.

"I am happy at the moment and I have decided to continue playing football," said Pires.

Motivation

"I am 36 but I still have sufficient desire to help any club.

"At the moment I have offers from the MLS (Philadelphia Union) and some opportunities in France."

He added: "It is my dream though to continue at this club and I would have even more motivation were we to qualify for Europe.

"I expect to sit down with the club at the end of the season and we will evaluate the situation and come to a decision.

"I will accept whatever they decide, but I want to make it clear that I have no intention of retiring."

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}

Pires yet to decideMagee, Galaxy set for rematch with RSL