Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tiago seals Atletico return

Tiago seals Atletico return

Atletico Madrid have re-signed Portugal midfielder Tiago from Juventus on a season-long loan deal.

The former Chelsea and Porto performer spent the second half of last season at the Vicente Calderon, scoring three goals in 29 appearances.

And the 29-year-old World Cup ace, who scored twice for his country in the South Africa finals, has impressed Atletico boss Quique Sanchez Flores sufficiently to be brought back to the Spanish capital for the 2010/11 campaign.

"I'm delighted to return to Atletico," said Tiago, who will be eligible to feature in Atletico's defence of their Europa League crown this term. "I wanted to come back and here I am again, eager to start training.

"Right now my goal is to be ready to play as soon as possible. It will be hard to play the European Super Cup on 27th August because I haven't done any training with the ball.

"I have not spoken with the coach, who will decide. I've talked to Simao (Sabrosa) and I know most of my team-mates, which is an advantage."

Atletico kick off their domestic campaign against Sporting Gijon on Sunday week.

a.top_betting_link_1 {background-image: url('/Images/Skysports/Icons/skybet_logo.png');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:0% 50%;padding-left:68px;}La Liga Winner 10/11 Win Outright: Atletico Madrid 50/1

Chivas back in training, eager to return to pitchAtletico grab Godin