Monday, March 23, 2009

Diarra - Title race still on

Diarra - Title race still on
Lassana Diarra thinks that Real Madrid are still very much in the title race and have quickly recovered from their UEFA Champions League exit, while denying there are any rifts in the squad.

The French midfielder is pleased that Los Merengues bounced back from their drubbing against Liverpool to pick up an impressive victory at Athletic Bilbao at the weekend.

Madrid remain six points behind Barcelona, but there is a confidence in Real's squad that they can chase the Blaugrana all the way this season.

"There is a positive atmosphere in the squad. Our goal is to win the title by winning every game. We are very much alive and I think we can catch up with Barcelona. We proved we can in Bilbao," he told the club's official website.

"I do not want to talk about Barcelona. We have to win our eleven games. We'll be waiting for them to lose points. I am convinced we are capable of winning all our matches.

"We were unhappy after the defeat at Anfield, but there is a perfect atmosphere. There are no problems between members of the squad and we are already thinking about our game against Almeria."

Settled

Diarra has settled into the Madrid side quickly since joining from Portsmouth in January, but does not believe that he is has done anything exceptional.

"There are no secrets. I am grateful to the fans and my team-mates. They have both played an essential role. The experience I had at great clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal has also helped me adapt to Real Madrid," he continued.

"I am at the team's service and I will play wherever the coach tells me. I am versatile and have no problems with playing as a right-back."