Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Acosta blow for Racing

Acosta blow for Racing

Racing Santander striker Lautaro Acosta could be out of action for up to three months after picking up a knee injury during the goalless draw with Sporting Gijon. The Argentine joined on a loan deal from Sevilla during the summer's transfer window, and had scored in Racing's first match of the season against Valencia. However, Acosta was found to have damaged the meniscus in his right knee after limping out of Sunday's game against Sporting and will now face a lengthy spell on the sidelines. He told Racing's official website : "At the time I thought it was just a sprain or something similar, so I carried on. "But a few minutes later I was going to defend a ball in the area and I felt the crack in the knee when turning." However Acosta is keen to recover quickly and again be available for selection, adding: "Now I have to think only about recovering as soon as possible. "It's disappointing but at least I know I will be able to rehab in two or three months." Injuries have so far blighted the career of the 23-year-old, as many believe he never reached his potential at Sevilla due to a serious injury suffered shortly after arriving in Andalusia.