Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Serena jokes about grunting on Letterman

NEW YORK - Serena Williams believes grunting may give players an edge — not that she’s apologizing for the advantage.

Williams appeared on the “Late Show with David Letterman” on CBS on Monday night, two days after beating her sister in the Wimbledon final then teaming with Venus to win the doubles title. Williams joked with Letterman about the cacophony some players make, which was the target of media criticism during Wimbledon.

Asked if the noise can be distracting to quieter opponents, Williams said, “I often wonder that.”


“I’m thinking like we were playing just recently in the finals and Venus and I were grunting really loud in the doubles and the other girls weren’t doing anything,” she added. “And after the point, I was thinking, ’Wow, that was pretty loud. Was that distracting for them?”’

Williams said she was inspired by Monica Seles growing up.

“She’s like the first person that I know that really used to grunt really loud and really hard, so that’s kind of how I modeled my grunt after,” Williams said. “Yeah, because you have to have role models when it comes to grunting.”

She added that grunting “advanced in everything.”

“Like if I play golf, I grunt,” she said. “If I’m playing soccer and I kick the ball, I grunt.”

ALSO ON THIS STORY  Discuss: Sound off on tennis at Newsvine.com

Also on NBCSports.com

Powell: Take Federer over Tiger ... for now
Circling the Bases: Manny faces tough road in N.Y.
  NFL video: Redskins' Campbell on the hot seat?
CollegeFootballTalk: BCS officials keep tripping up
Whine of Week: Franco should keep his mouth shut

 




Venus, Serena advance easily, but Oudin ousted
FCD reserves await friendly
Serena Williams withdraws from Family Circle Cup