Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dinara Safina to supplant Serena at No. 1

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) -Dinara Safina will overtake Serena Williams for the world No. 1 ranking later this month.

Safina will rise to No. 1 for the first time in her career in the April 20 rankings, the WTA Tour said on Wednesday.

Safina, the younger sister of former No. 1 Marat Safin, will become the first brother-sister duo to be No. 1.


"It's a great honor to reach the No. 1 ranking and it is a dream every girl who has ever wanted to play professional tennis shares,'' she said "It is even extra special for me since my brother Marat was able to reach the No. 1 ranking and I am happy to share this achievement with him.''

She will become the 19th woman - and second Russian after Maria Sharapova - to top the WTA rankings.

Safina was the runner-up at the 2008 French Open to Ana Ivanovic and at the 2009 Australian Open to Williams.

"There's no question that while I am very proud of my results over the past year, I would have liked to reach this achievement in a different manner,'' she said. "I hope to prove to everyone over the coming months that I merit the honor of being world No. 1.''

Safina, with four titles last year, jumped from No. 17 to No. 2, earning her the tour's award for most improved player.




MLS Power Rankings: Week 4
Montanes, Ferrero, Gil reach Casablanca quarters