Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tapia quits as Malaga boss

Tapia quits as Malaga boss
Antonio Tapia has quit as coach of Malaga after guiding the club to an eighth-placed finish in the Primera Division.

The 49-year-old took charge of Malaga last summer after the club had secured promotion to the top flight under former boss Juan Ramon Lopez Muniz.

However, following the 3-0 defeat by Espanyol in the final game of the season on Sunday, Tapia confirmed he is stepping down.

"Next season I am not going to be the coach of the team," said Tapia.

"We've had an excellent campaign and it is the ideal moment to end this cycle. Coaches are not always able to decide when we finish a cycle."

Going away happy

Tapia is satisfied with his work during his time at Malaga and says he does not yet have another coaching position lined up.

He added: "At the moment there is nothing signed, although I hope to study some possibilities and start another project.

"I want to thank all the support I've had from the president, the workers at the club, the fans and the press.

"I've done everything I could and we've had a fantastic season.

"In the future you never know. I'm going away with a very good taste in the mouth and having completed the expectations that we set for ourselves. I'm going away happy."




Tchite unfazed by speculation
Senna out of Gunners tie
TFC make Cummins interim head coach
Riley, Sturgis to miss Seattle’s clash with FCD