Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Caparros named Mallorca boss

Caparros named Mallorca boss

Real Mallorca have confirmed the appointment of Joaquin Caparros as their new coach. Caparros succeeds Michael Laudrup, who stepped down last week just five games into the new La Liga season. The 55-year-old, whose previous clubs include Villarreal, Sevilla, Deportivo La Coruna and Athletic Bilbao, has signed a contract until June 30, 2012. "My team and I are willing to become fully involved in the project. We guarantee that we will give everything 25 hours a day, not 24," he was quoted as saying at his presentation by Spanish newspaper AS. Caparros explained he penned a nine-month deal "because it is important that the two parties, the coaching staff and the board, know where we stand". He added: "Only at Athletic did they sign me for three years. At other clubs I've been signed for one season. We will give it time and we will see." "My team and I are willing to become fully involved in the project. We guarantee that we will give everything 25 hours a day, not 24." Joaquin Caparros Quotes of the week Get involved Caparros briefly took the reins at Neuchatel Xamax in July but lasted only five games with the chaotic Swiss club. "I come to get involved. All I want is to train. It is a privilege that Mallorca has remembered me," said the Andalusian, who will work alongside assistant coach Luci Martin and fitness coach Aurelio Martin. "Going forward, collective effort and unity is a must to win in this league. "What is clear is that we all think and act as a team - and I include managers, players, fans, media - for the good of Mallorca. "I come with a lot of hope. It's a nice challenge. We enjoy our profession, and while the other teams are motivated, we have to have at least the same motivation or more."